29 July, 2005

Pisco and Wine!

Peru is an innovative country! July 28th was Peru's National Day. To celebrate that, Peruvians filled the Main Fountain (on the Main Square in Lima = Capital) with 2,000 liters of Pisco for everyone to enjoy it (for more about it check this).

In my hometown, every september, there is a "wine festival". The event is held at the grounds of the municipal gardens. You pay a nominal fee at the entrance and you are given a plastic bottle resembling the shape of a gourd (that's what they used to remove the wine from the urns in the old time). Armed with the plastic bottle you can go at special stalls and "fill-up" with any kind of wine for free! There are stalls selling traditional food (to accompany the wine) as well as various events (tradional dance, excibitions of how they used to make wine in the old time, etc.) Every year many people visit the Wine Festival, among them many tourists. Tourists seem to enjoy the free wine more than the locals and they are most susceptile to the Vachian effects of it! At the center of the municipal gardens there is a fountain, which is a kind of "landmark" (if you get disconnected from your group and go there chances are you will find them). The fountain also serves as a landing place, better a diving place of the above mentioned tourists that had a lot of drinking. The result is hillarious to sometimes scary!!! Now, Giancarlo gave me a good idea! I will propose to the municipality of my home town to follow the example Peru, fill-up the fountain with wine. Since the tourists "drink" its water every year, I guess wine will be a better choice! GEIA MAS!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, tht festival sounds damn cool!! Free flowing wine, free "wine" fountain.....
AL

Anonymous said...

Btw, if you are checking this hopefully before Sunday, there is a festival at Shimogamo shrine. The place is beautifully lighted up with lanterns and there is this feet washing ceremony where you wade barefoot in the small pool / river in the temple. Fun! So check it out. Until Sun I think (not sure!) till 10.30pm. Better go when it is dark, lovely lanterns. Same goes to you Giancarlo.
AL

Giancarlo said...

Cool! We also have a Wine Festival, althought we call it "Festival de la Vendimia" or "Harvest Festival". Very similar and, although we don't have this plastic-bottle-thing, the wine, pisco and cachina are also free!!!

We also have a beauty pageant (Miss Vendimia) and lots of food stalls... Sorry I have no pictures!

Ai Ling: I hope you were not trying to say that I have to wash my feet!!! ;-) Oh! Please tell me if I've never invited you a Pisco Sour to amend my fault... I'll be delighted to do so!

BTW, I found Pisco bottles here in Japan! They're a little bit expensive (4200 yen a 500cc bottle) but, if you want to flatter yourselves with this ambrosia, just buy a bottle and try any of these recipes.

Oh! And, Ai Ling, I haven't seen you by my English Blog. Maybe you should change the link in your page from my Spanish Blog to this one... See ya there!!!

Giancarlo said...

Hey Chris! I had posted three of your pictures of the weekend lunch on my Spanish blog. I hope you don't mind...
Nevertheless, I expect you to post them in Eglish here!!!
See ya!

The Furui Man said...

I was planning to do so. You are quicker than me in posting!