31 October, 2005

Spiritual Parents!

In my culture teachers are called "spiritual parents". Like a parent, a teacher picks-up the "new-born" soul and with patience and love nurtures it.
Some time ago when I arrived in Japan, my first interactions were with my Japanese language teachers. Like me, a group of foreigners had the same experiences. Each of us coming from a very different culture, was a "new-born" soul in Japan. Like good "spiritual parents", our teachers put up with our peculiarities and taught us how to "walk" in this new world (even though we are still very clumsy and often trip and fall)! Last week I met with one of my favorite Japanese language instructors at the bank. She was very happy to see me trying alone to communicate with a bank worker, in Japanese. Still, I was hopeless but managed to communicate (I think - if there is a problem in my account I will know I didn't)...
At a point the bank worker went to process a form and I got the chance to talk a little with my teacher. She has that amazing talent to communicate with you in Japanese without using English with the exception of an occasional katakana word when necessary. I was happy to learn that she just published a new book called "Useful Book of Verbs".

The book is targeted towards the learners of Japanese that have trouble memorizing verb conjugations and transitive and intransitive verbs (well pretty much all of us!) It lists 1,500 verbs, each labeled with its kanji, verb group, -te form, transitive/intransitive marker and an English definition. The book is small and compact (A5 size), and can be carried around easily. I already own a copy and I believe it will prove very useful in my future learning to "walk" (without falling)!

7 comments:

Pilarcita said...

I want/should/must have that book!!!... hehehe...

Anonymous said...

really? Can i take a look at the book?

ed

The Furui Man said...

I have the book Eddie. Stop by and you can check it out!

Peppermint said...

I was searching this book at amazon.co.uk and don't found. :(

you know where i buy that? (url from Europe, please)

The Furui Man said...

Peppermint, this book was just published, chances are you won't find on amazon yet. Here is the publisher's website where you can order (in Japanese, sorry). I don't know if they ship out of Japan though...
http://www.alc.co.jp/ondemand/

Anonymous said...

Eik! She published a book?! Are they selling it in the co-op as well? I had never seen her since the jap classes. I agree...we were all a bunch of clumsy peculiar *kids* from all ages and different continents. How they put up with us, I will never know. And all my Jap had gone flying out of the window. Grammar...damn!
But at least I could say tht my hearing has improved a bit....sadly not by leaps and bounds.
Ai Ling
P/S And where have you been?? Have not seen you and Giancarlos in like AGES!
How is the family?

Giancarlo said...

Hey! Ai Ling! How have you been??? Let's hope that Furui organizes a new coffee-meeting for everybody. Winter seems a better time than Summer (specially with no A/C), don't you think so?
Ha!
See ya!